NamelessMC

Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

Request Tons of new features! (please read)
Started by dadus33

dadus33

dadus33

Last Seen
25 May 2016
Topics

Hello, I would like to request the following features:

1. Spoilers in forums xD
  2. Maybe a more XenForo like text editor
  3. Support BBCodes
  4. paragraph spacing... That one annoys me the most. There's NO WAY I can properly add or remove paragraph spacing to my posts. Each time I press enter there's a huge space between my initial paragraph and the following one. I want to be able to change that.
  5. Timezone selection is yet another issue. I want to be able to select the default timezone of the website and also users (upon registration) should have an option to select their own timezone or use the default one. That's a must have feature this software lacks.
  6. More kinds of ratings... Excluding the like buttn, there should also be dislike buttons and and other positive or negative reviews with name and icon customizable in the AdminCP. For instance, the software may come with only the like/dislike ratings, but you, in the AdminCP, can add more to the list, add a name and a custom icon to them (or one available in fontawesome) and of course, a rating value. For instance, the like button may have a rating value of +1, while the dislike button of -1. Also, a user should have a list on his/her profile page with his ratings and total rating count, just like on XenForo.

While I know there are tons of features I requested, I think that would really make people switch to NamelessMC. That's what would make this software really feature-rich and awesome.

Thank you!

dadus33 · over 8 years ago
Samerton

Samerton

Owner
Last Seen
19 Apr 2024
Topics

Thanks for these, here are my initial thoughts:

1. I can look into adding a spoiler button in the future.
  2. Which changes to the editor would you like to see? The editor XenForo uses would cost around $1500 which is a bit much for an open source project cheeky
  3. The editor is HTML based instead of BBCode, changing this would require implementing a new BBCode parser and I'm not sure how practical this would be.
  4. You may be able to change this yourself using custom css, something like the following may work (it'd need to go in styles/themes/*Theme*/css/custom.css):
    p {  margin-top: 0px;  margin-bottom: 5px;}

5. Setting a user's timezones has been planned for a while now and it'll be added eventually.
  6. Sure, this is a good way of doing things. In the past I was going to add fixed ratings, but it didn't get far as I wasn't sure which ones to add. Allowing admins to add their own is a good idea.
x2
Samerton · over 8 years ago
dadus33

dadus33

Last Seen
25 May 2016
Topics
Samerton said:

2. Which changes to the editor would you like to see? The editor XenForo uses would cost around $1500 which is a bit much for an open source project cheeky
  3. The editor is HTML based instead of BBCode, changing this would require implementing a new BBCode parser and I'm not sure how practical this would be.
  4. You may be able to change this yourself using custom css, something like the following may work (it'd need to go in styles/themes/*Theme*/css/custom.css):

5. Setting a user's timezones has been planned for a while now and it'll be added eventually.
  6. Sure, this is a good way of doing things. In the past I was going to add fixed ratings, but it didn't get far as I wasn't sure which ones to add. Allowing admins to add their own is a good idea.
Samerton said:

Thanks a lot! I honestly don't remember what I wanted to mean by those new XenForo features, but I know what currently annoys me regarding the editor. First of all, I'd like to see quoting users easier, that meaning that whenever you quote someone, the quote will be added to your curent text without opening another window. Also, BBCode would be useful as most users are used to it from other forum software. I know it might be hard to implement, as I'm a developer myself (however I really didn't care to learn CSS or HTML) and I know that modifiyng existing features inside a project is mostly harder than just adding them from the beginning, but that would really help out, especially for the new users. And, finally, regarding the editing of the custom.css file, I would like it to be theme independent and to let users choose that :) For instance, just like in MS Word or other text editors, you should have a button to allow adding or removing space after and before paragraphs, leaving that choice to the end-user. Also, by default it shall use no spacing. At least that's my opinion on it xD I'd be really glad to see those features implemented, however time isn't that much of an issue (for me at least). I would also like to help you with a small donation, it makes me feel better regarding using free software powered by the community's choices smiley

Oh, and that smiley also reminded me of something...

Could you also make it so the editor would automatically translat the :) or other 'text smileys' into images for those smileys? And, again, admins should be able to add their own custom smileys, including gifs, and set their text version. Thank's anyways for being so kind!

dadus33

dadus33

Last Seen
25 May 2016
Topics

Hmm, and I might have just spott a little bug, for some reason, after clicking submit post, I get an invalid token message that goes away if I press the button again.

Also, clicking the reply button on a user's profile post won't do anything.

PS: Might you also add a small indicator under the user's avatar to show it's status (online/offline, and by clicking on it you should get a small pop-up displaying his last seen time)? And yet another improvement that can be made is the alert system... Once you click on an alert the system should automatically assume you read it, thus marking it as read and no longer showing it in the unread section.

Samerton

Samerton

Owner
Last Seen
19 Apr 2024
Topics
  • "First of all, I'd like to see quoting users easier, that meaning that whenever you quote someone, the quote will be added to your curent text without opening another window"

This is also something I'd like to imeplemt at some point, hopefully for the 1.2 release.

• BBCode

I'm starting to work on the core system for Nameless 2.0, I can build that with BBCode, but the 1.x releases likely won't change.

• "For instance, just like in MS Word or other text editors, you should have a button to allow adding or removing space after and before paragraphs"

Whilst I do agree with you about the spacing between paragraphs, the problem here is that it's hardcoded into the editor, and as it's something I haven't written myself it's something I won't be able to add a button for. I might remove the large spacing by default, and if users want a space between paragraphs they can simply enter a new line.

• Donations

Thanks for your generosity, it's really appreciated! Our donate link's pretty well hidden as there are no navigation links to it, however you can find it here.

• Smileys

Sure, this is also something I can include in a future release.

• Invalid token

2.0 will hopefully eliminate this issue, currently if you navigate to a different area of the site whilst writing a post you'll get the token error, and as you say you simply need to resubmit the post.

• Replying to user profile post

I can't reproduce this issue, the button opens a new modal which contains an input area. One thing I can imagine is happening is the script is being killed somehwere, does your footer load correctly on profile pages?

• Online status

Sure, this should be fairly easy to add.

• Alerts

Planned for the near future, hopefully 1.1.

Arc

Arc

Last Seen
22 Apr 2016
Topics

Love the forum software. I was thinking how about a mybb type of reputation system? (Sorry OP for posting this in your thread) I just thought it would be a great place to make it instead of being a noob and creating another thread for such ideas.

<p>Yo</p>
Arc · over 8 years ago
Samerton

Samerton

Owner
Last Seen
19 Apr 2024
Topics
Arc said:

Love the forum software. I was thinking how about a mybb type of reputation system? (Sorry OP for posting this in your thread) I just thought it would be a great place to make it instead of being a noob and creating another thread for such ideas.

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with MyBB, how does their reputation system work? 

dadus33

dadus33

Last Seen
25 May 2016
Topics
Samerton said:
  • "First of all, I'd like to see quoting users easier, that meaning that whenever you quote someone, the quote will be added to your curent text without opening another window"

This is also something I'd like to imeplemt at some point, hopefully for the 1.2 release.

• BBCode

I'm starting to work on the core system for Nameless 2.0, I can build that with BBCode, but the 1.x releases likely won't change.

• "For instance, just like in MS Word or other text editors, you should have a button to allow adding or removing space after and before paragraphs"

Whilst I do agree with you about the spacing between paragraphs, the problem here is that it's hardcoded into the editor, and as it's something I haven't written myself it's something I won't be able to add a button for. I might remove the large spacing by default, and if users want a space between paragraphs they can simply enter a new line.

• Donations

Thanks for your generosity, it's really appreciated! Our donate link's pretty well hidden as there are no navigation links to it, however you can find it here.

• Smileys

Sure, this is also something I can include in a future release.

• Invalid token

2.0 will hopefully eliminate this issue, currently if you navigate to a different area of the site whilst writing a post you'll get the token error, and as you say you simply need to resubmit the post.

• Replying to user profile post

I can't reproduce this issue, the button opens a new modal which contains an input area. One thing I can imagine is happening is the script is being killed somehwere, does your footer load correctly on profile pages?

• Online status

Sure, this should be fairly easy to add.

• Alerts

Planned for the near future, hopefully 1.1.

Thanks a lot! Removing the default big spacing seems a really good idea, thank you!

Samerton

Samerton

Owner
Last Seen
19 Apr 2024
Topics

Just a little update, working on implementing BBCode in the new version 2.0, along with a new post editor.

x1
dadus33

dadus33

Last Seen
25 May 2016
Topics
Samerton said:

Just a little update, working on implementing BBCode in the new version 2.0, along with a new post editor.

Thank you so much <3! And just remembered of some stuff I'd like implemented :)

First of all, I'd love to see automatic parsing of emoticons like :) into smilies. Also, I hope the new editor will have a more user-friendly interface and more customizable settings, like allowing or not users to use characters bigger then a certain value the admin can set. Thank you!